Posted by Gabriel Harriss at 10/03/2017 16:23:43
Following a comprehensive procurement exercise, which involved service users and carers, wheelchairs are to be provided by Millbrook Healthcare from 1 April 2017. This service was previously provided by Kent Community Health NHS Foundation Trust.
This contract covers the whole of Kent and Medway, where there are 23,000 people who use NHS funded wheelchairs. The service provides for people with a long-term need for a wheelchair (six months or more). The service provides manual and powered wheelchairs to children, young people and adults, following referral by a healthcare professional such as a GP or physiotherapist and an eligibility check. The service does not provide wheelchairs for short-term use (less than six months), these are loaned by organisations such as the Red Cross.
Extensive patient engagement was undertaken to determine key elements of the new service and the new integrated service has been redesigned in line with national and strategic guidance with key service deliverables to include clinical assessment, servicing and repair, wheelchair equipment provision and rehabilitation engineering.
Its key features will be:
- A comprehensive stock of wheelchairs will be held that will meet the needs of the majority of patients that have been referred. It is expected that a large proportion of clients with non-complex requirements will leave their initial assessment with a wheelchair
- A one stop shop will be provided with all clinical assessments, repairs, maintenance and adaptations will be carried out from the same site
- Where a more bespoke wheelchair is required, the patient will ordinarily be expected to wait no more than six weeks for delivery of their wheelchair.
- Should sufficient demand exist, clinics will be provided at other locations for example, hospitals or GP surgeries, to reduce travelling for those that find it difficult
- Clinics will continue to be held at schools and in patients’ homes as required
- Assessment centres will be fully accessible with ample disabled accessible parking and level, flat access, welcoming reception areas and comfortable, child friendly waiting areas
- There will be two fixed Assessment Centres in Kent – at Ashford and Gillingham:
The service can be contacted via 03301 244 485 or email firstname.lastname@example.org from 1st April 2017.
This is a large contract. Millbrook Healthcare already provides a Wheelchair Services for a number of other areas in the UK, including East Sussex.
Phillip Campling, Millbrook Healthcare Managing Director said,
“We are delighted to have been awarded the contract for the Kent and Medway Wheelchair Service and are looking forward to working closely with the service users to provide the best service possible.”
For more information and contact details of the service, please click the link below: